Emergency Services

In 1996, the Province of British Columbia mandated that Municipalities develop and maintain emergency plans. The Village of Port Alice’s first Emergency Plan was adopted in 1998, and its most recent Plan was updated in 2011. The Port Alice Emergency Plan can be viewed in the Links below.

Port Alice Emergency Plan 2011 (Reports, and Maps referenced in this plan can be viewed in separate links below)

Port Alice House Number Map

Tsunami Zone NI

Tsunami Zones BC

Village of Port Alice Hazard Risk and Vulnerability Analysis

North Island Regional and Community Disaster Recovery Plan

Port Alice Emergency Evacuation Plan – 2011

Unless otherwise stated the Port Alice Community Centre at 951 Marine Drive will be used as the Evacuation \ Reception Centre. 

For further information on these plans please contact the Village Office at (250) 284-3391.

Earthquake and Tsunami information

 2015 Earthquake & Tsunami Smart Manual from EMBC

Wildfire Hazard in Port Alice

Residents of the Port Alice are reminded that at many times of the year the North Island is at a higher than normal risk of wildfire. Please be aware of the fire danger rating and open fire bans for our area (the North Island / Mid Coast) before lighting a fire. Burn registration numbers can be requested from the Wildfire Management Branch (Ministry of Natural Resource Operations) at (888) 797-1717.

Please note that the Wildfire Act applies on both public (Crown) and private land. Therefore, if fire bans are in effect for our area, they will apply to all private and Crown land in the Mount Waddington Regional District.

For up-to-date wildfire information please contact the BC Wildfire Management Branch at (888) 3FOREST.

Report fire sightings or the smell of smoke to (800) 663-5555 or *5555 on cellular networks.

Are you FireSmart?

The time to reduce the threat of wildfire is now, not when a fire is at your doorstep. Be proactive, be practical, and be FireSmart!

To find out more about how you can FireSmart your own property check the following:

Emergency Services FAQ’s

1.      What do I do if an emergency event happens in my area?

Depending on the event, you should call one of the following phone numbers:

  • For fire, police, ambulance or oil and gas emergencies, dial 911. The dispatcher will then contact the appropriate agencies to assist you.
  • For a forest, brush or grass fire, contact the Ministry of Forests at (800) 663-5555 or * 5555 from a cellular phone.
  • For other emergencies, such as hazardous goods spills, plane crashes, flooding, etc., contact the Provincial Emergency Program at (800) 663-3456.
  • Encounters with aggressive, wild animals should be reported to the BC Conservation Officer Service at (800) 663-WILD (9453)

2.      How will the Village of Port Alice coordinate all of these activities?

The Village of Port Alice will activate the Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) which is located in the main Village office. Using the BC Emergency Response Management System (BCERMS), staff will be brought into the EOC to coordinate key functions such as EOC Director, Liaison Officer, Public Information Officer, Operations, Planning, Logistics and Finance/Administration. Lines of communication will be maintained with the incident commander and resources will be allocated as required.

When the EOC is activated, the Province will also activate the Provincial Regional Emergency Operations Centre (PREOC) in Victoria to provide technical assistance and additional resources to the Village as required.

3.      What type of emergency events could occur in Port Alice?

The Emergency Preparedness Program has carried out a hazard, risk and vulnerability analysis and has identified 13 hazards which should be addressed in our emergency plan. The hazards listed here are in order of “likelihood” or probability.

Landslides and Debris Flows

  1. Fires – Structural
  2. Severe Weather
  3. Hazardous Goods
  4. Explosions – Emissions
  5. Accidents – Marine
  6. Accidents – Road
  7. Fires –Interface
  8. Critical Infrastructure Failure
  9. Earthquake
  10. Epidemics – Human
  11. Tsunami
  12. Accidents – Air

The Village of Port Alice Emergency Plan (2011) contains the protocols and procedures to be used by the EOC staff to provide support for these events.

 4.   When would an evacuation be ordered and by whom?

When residents are at risk due to landslide, fire, or severe weather, (to name a few) an evacuation order could be ordered by:

The Mayor, after declaring a State of Local Emergency.

  • The Village of Port Alice Emergency Coordinator
  • The Fire Commissioner, for either tactical or safety reasons or due to the threat of explosion.
  • The Ministry of Health or the local Health Authority.
  • The Province of BC, after declaring a Provincial State of Emergency.

 5.       How much advanced notice of an evacuation would I receive and do I have to leave my property?

An evacuation order may or may not be preceded by an evacuation alert, depending on the event and how much time is available to clear the affected area. It is preferable to first issue an alert so people can prepare, but this is not always possible. Once an evacuation has been ordered, you must leave your property as the order will be enforced by the R.C.M.P. To ensure personal and family emergency preparedness, consult our various resources listed to the right under ‘Related Links’.

6.       What kind of assistance is available for people who have been evacuated?

There are two organizations that provide for the immediate needs of evacuees:

a. Emergency Social Services (ESS)

ESS is a provincial emergency response system that provides services to preserve the well being of people affected by an emergency or disaster. ESS volunteers play an important role during emergencies in the Port Alice by:

  • Helping people to remain independent and self sufficient.
  • Helping people to meet their basic survival needs during a disaster (food, shelter, clothing, medical needs, etc.).
  • Reuniting families separated by disaster.
  • Providing people with accurate and up-to-date information about the situation at hand.
  • Helping people to re-establish themselves as quickly as possible after a disaster.
  • Helping a community work through the recovery process.

If you are interested in becoming an ESS volunteer in Port Alice please call (250) 284-3912 for more information.

More information regarding the ESS can be obtained at www.ess.bc.ca or calling the Provincial Emergency Program, ESS Branch in Victoria at (250) 387-6446 or toll free in BC at (800) 585-9559

b. Canadian Red Cross

The Canadian Red Cross, Disaster Services Branch, also plays a very important role by helping people affected by emergencies and disasters. The Red Cross works with governments and other humanitarian organizations (such as Emergency Social Services) to provide for people’s basic needs – food, clothing, shelter, first aid, emotional support and family reunification. During the recovery phase of disasters, Red Cross remains on the scene, helping those affected to rebuild their lives and communities. More information on the Canadian Red Cross and the disaster services they provide can be found at www.redcross.ca or by contacting their Coastal office in Victoria at (800) 661-9055. The website also contains some excellent information on how families and individuals can ensure that they are personally prepared in the event of a disaster impacting their community.

7.       Can I get involved as a volunteer?                                                    

The EMBC website reports that about 13,000 British Columbians volunteer their time and services in areas such as Emergency Social Services, Search and Rescue, Emergency Radio Communications, PEP Air Services and Road Rescue. These groups are always actively seeking and encouraging new members. For more information on ESS volunteer opportunities click on the ‘Volunteering with Emergency Social Services PDF in the Related Links section to the right.