Building in Port Alice is regulated by the Village’s Building Bylaw No 610, 2010 and the BC Building Code. Under the bylaw, building permits are required. Before you begin any new builds or renovations a Port Alice Building Permit Application will have to be submitted. Not sure if you need a permit? The Residential Building Permit Guide will help answer all your building questions.

Do you know where all of your services are? Propane, cable, sewer, water, and storm drains can be dangerous and expensive if hit. Call you before you dig is an important step to take before you begin any project that involves digging. CALL BEFORE YOU DIG!

  • Development Permit
    The Port Alice Official Community Plan has designated Development Permit areas that require further steps before clearing or building can begin. To apply for a permit to work within a Development Permit area an application must be submitted to the Approving Officer at the Municipal Office.
  • Board of Variance
    A variance is a request to deviate from current zoning requirements. If granted, it permits the owner to use his land in a way that is ordinarily not permitted by the zoning ordinance. It is not a change in the zoning law, but a waiver from the requirements of the zoning ordinance. Port Alice requires all variance requests be brought before the Board of Variance. Proof of hardship is required prior to a variance being issued.

More information of Board of Variances can be found below.

Learn more about Freedom of Information